Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Remodeling the bathroom..

Since Jessica and I have lived in the house we're in now, we've tried to take one project at a time and fix things up. The basement was one great big project for our family, and every one that helped. And it was the area that needed the most attention, so the upstairs was somewhat neglected. Well, the main bathroom upstairs had some cracked tile around the toilet and had been leaking slowly for a while, enough to cause the floor, and sub floor to begin to rot, and STINK.
When Christina, my brother's Doug's wife got pregnant and Jessica and all the Girls in the family decided to have the baby shower at our house, it seemed like the perfect time to
REMODEL THE BATHROOM!!!!



I thought it would be easy!! So I started with the demolition. Jessica and I tore off the awful wall paper and saw the most ugly wall behind it. I saw the job getting bigger.




We had tile, mortar, grout, GFI outlets, and light switches, all left over from the basement project so doing this job was suppose to be a cheap and easy fix. Reuse the lights, toilet, sink, faucet and mirrors.


Taking the old tile out proved to be about the easiest job.



But when it came to tearing up the old concrete board, then the floor, and then the sub floor that needed replaced. I admit I lost steam and let the bathroom sit for a while. But with the deadline getting close and Doug supporting me and keeping me motivated, he helped out and the work began again. Now, Doug had just had a very intense surgery on his shoulder and wasn't to be lifting and straining himself. But if you know Doug, you know how that turned out.


After the floor were taken out the new flooring went in. Doug stayed with me and gave me the advice on how it should be done. Several times Doug told me to not do things half ass'ed.
Now we were on a roll. Floor in and tile was right behind it. Doug and I pulled a couple late nights. You'll notice that the vanity changed color and the counter top is missing. Jessica and I planned to leave the counter top to save money. But when Doug gets going, it hard to stop him. Doug says to me, that thing is ugly, everything in this bathroom is new but that? Don't do things half ass'ed Jon. We had even planned on keeping the tile racks and had even painted them.
Doug went and bought me matching brushed stainless racks. He told me it was a gift from him. Oh, and Jessica's uncle Pete had left over counter top that he gave us. Doug talked us into buying a new faucet. I'm glad he did.

It turned out great!! And was finished in time.


I set the toilet about 2 hours before the baby shower began. Many thanks to Doug for all his great help. One more project done!!!!

No comments: